My "free" weekend


During those rare weekends off during the summer I try to do something really fun. Talking to one of my friends a few weeks ago, I mentioned that I was going to see my dad who lives in Yosemite. Somehow (after too many cocktails I think) we decided that we would climb Half Dome together. A quick call to my dad convinced him that he needed to come too! Here are some stats:
It's called "The Ultimate Yosemite Hike";
16.4 miles (the first 8.2 are straight up);
Start at 4040 feet, end at 8836 feet - an elevation gain of 4796 feet;
A Yosemite hiking rating of "very strenuous" (and that's an understatement);
The last 900 feet are at a 45+ degree angle where you pull your way up and over the hump of Half Dome's backside;
We left at 7am and got back to the valley floor at 8pm.
It totally rocked.